This weekend is the biggest of them all, The US Nationals takes place at Lucas Oil Raceway Park, the event that determines who makes the countdown and who doesn't. Coming off the win in Top Fuel at Brainerd Minn, DSR Battery Extender Driver Spencer Massey has momentum going his way heading into the event known as "The Big Go"
1. The win at the Lucas Oil Nationals has to be such a momentum builder for you and your Battery Extender Team heading into the countdown?
' The win at the Lucas Oil Nationals in Brainerd definitely gives you a tremendous amount of momentum heading into the US Nationals, which has our team pumped. We tested at Indy last week and ran very well, and that has the DSR Battery Extender team excited, ready to win the US Nationals
2. The Battery Extender car was very consistent throughout eliminations, 3.791 3.799, 3.820, and the final round 3.811. In capturing the win at Brainerd. Talk about each of the 4 runs
' Looking back to the 2011 season, this particular car (sans canopy) went 40 runs in a row without smoking the tires, we still have Todd Okuhara & Phil Shuler as crew chiefs, the same driver and tune up; It is a very consistent car. As a Top Fuel driver, you just have to sit back and enjoy stepping into a car such as this, realizing how good it is on every run down the race track.'
3. That fireball in the first round was a scary one. Bet it Must feel much safer with the enclosed cockpit canopy.
' I had no idea there was a fire. If that same fire occurred while running the more traditional dragster, some of the fire plus oil from the engine would have made its way into the cockpit; Thankfully none of that happened. By far, this car is a joy to drive, i feel so much safer behind the wheel.'
4. This year by far, has been one of the best in your career. 4 wins, which is the most that you have had in an entire season
' It has been an amazing season up to this point for everyone on the team. The win at the ZMax 4-Wide Nationals at Charlotte (first win of season) was a great win due to the fact that we run so well there, plus it's such a cool race to win. We are fortunate to have won 4 times this season, we hope the wins keep on coming to help us stay in the fight for the championship.'
5. This 2013 season, you have any number of Top Fuelers that can win. Thinking back, could you have imagined Top Fuel being so close this season?
' Over the last few seasons, championships have come down to the last event, plus the fact that the competition has become even tighter. When you look at the Top Fuel field, there are any number of race cars that run so well and are so consistent pass after pass, anyone can win. That is something i'm not surprised by with Top Fuel being so close this year.'
6. One more question. Name one thing in your lifetime that you have yet to do but would love to?
' It would have to be winning the Top Fuel Championship, There is no life outside of drag racing for me, LOL.'