Monday, March 11, 2013

An Interview with Arizona Nationals Pro Stock Champ Erica Enders-Stevens

We are a week away from the Gatornationals, your holeshot win over Mike Edwards in the Pro Stock Finals of the Arizona Nationals really shows how strong the Cagnazzi Team is:



" Absolutely it does. Last year our team found a combination along with tremendous horsepower that worked well for us, and I couldn't be prouder of the team anymore than I already am. We feel very optimistic as to what the 2013 Mello Yello season will bring us, but we, at Cagnazzi Team feel very strong and are ready for the challenge "



With talented drivers behind in your Crew Chief Dave Connolly and your husband Ritchie Stevens, as a driver, does it give you a sense of confidence everytime you are in the car:



"Personally it means a lot to me knowing that both Dave & Ritchie are in my corner, they are two of the best pro stock drivers the sport of NHRA Drag Racing has ever seen. Dave is one my best friends on and off of the race track, I confide in him a lot, and I value his experience as a crew chief. Dave is in constant contact over the radio with me, his honesty is priceless because it helps me to improve as a driver, and he always gives me an encouraging word every time I step in the car. "



NHRA Pro Stock Drag Racing has never been closer, can you explain some of the reasons why that is so:



" Pro Stock is so close with 16-car fields that are separated by thousandths of a second, on sunday, it is down to who has the best driver. the best car and the most horsepower.  Our rules limit us as to what we are able to do with engine and chassis development. Obviously over the winter, Mike Edwards found a bit more horsepower than the rest of the competition due to the fact he had the entire field covered in Phoenix by 2 to 3 hundreths of a second; So we are always trying very hard to find just a fraction more horsepower than our competition. So as I've said before I believe that it is down to two points: who has the best car and who is the best driver, that is why i believe Pro Stock is as close as it has ever been



In addition to that, what routine does a driver go through to stay so sharp and focused when races are decided by thousandths:



" I train with a personal trainer 4 days a week, I do all that I can to stay in top physical shape. As Racers, we always hear the comment "Drag Racing isn't really a sport". But the observer does not realize  our sport requires a tremendous amount of strength as well as a strong mentality. Every aspect of the run must be done to near perfection with the pro stock field separated by 1/1000 sec, so in essence, the weight of the world is on the drivers' shoulders. That is a part that I enjoy, that its all up to me. But really, The Cagnazzi Teams' success  is not possible without having such a fantastic crew behind me. I enjoy it tremendously.



You have driven the Chevy Cobalt to great success, now in a matter of weeks your team will run the Camaro. Are you excited to drive it and has your team tested at any point?



" I love my Cobalt and I will be a sad driver once it's retired. Beings that it is the oldest car in pro stock, to have won with great success is amazing. The Cagnazzi team have been working a lot of hours to get the new Camaro ready, and we are fortunate to be one of a handful of teams who build both engines and chassis in our race shop. Just before this interview took place, I received a phone call that in the next few days, our team will be in Bradeton, FLA testing the Camaro and the plan is to race it in Gainsville. I am very excited to debut it and if it is anything like the Cobalt was, I believe we have a lot to show to the competition." 



With your success in Pro Stock (4 wins in 2012, 1 win in 2013), are you hoping that young girls have aspirations of becoming a drag racer, following much the same path as you have?



" It is so exciting to see females in a male dominated sport work very hard to obtain the success they have in NHRA Drag Racing. Courtney Force and her sisters Brittany and Ashley Force Hood (2-Time US Nationals Funny car Champ) have had great success in the sport. Courtney Enders, my sister, is hard at work obtaining her Jr. Dragster license, that is exciting to see it come to fruition. There have been only a handful of women who have attempted to drive Pro Stock,  I would love to see my sister at some point in her career try apply her skills in the PS class. With all that is happening at the moment in drag racing, we are always hopeful our success not only bring in more females to join our sport but brings more fans to the grandstands to experience NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing."




Fans via twitter submitted questions, and this one comes from Melinda Girard (@LupusGirl) who asks what it felt like after making history in Chicago last season, becoming the first women in history to win in Pro Stock:




" It was the most rewarding moment in my entire life. Everything that the Cagnazzi Team and myself have worked hard for, it all came together at Route 66 Dragway at the Route 66 Nationals. It was hard not to be emotional after such a historic moment, becoming the first women to win in the history of the Pro Stock Class. All my parents' sacrifice and hard work they put in, the years in the Jr. Dragster Program, and with faith as well as the belief that you can accomplish your dreams made the win such an emotional moment for me. The best moment of my life"



We are 2 events in to the 2013 NHRA Mello Yello season, are you excited for what this season holds  for you and the Cagnazzi Team:



"It will be a long, tough year for us, hopefully we are in contention for the Pro Stock Championship, as we spoke earlier, we have our work cut out for us with the class being as close as it is, but we are very optimistic. My team performs so well under pressure, I couldn't be more prouder, excited and blessed to have such a tremendous group of individuals behind me. Hopefully, this season holds great things for us. Last year will be difficult to surpass, winning 4 times, making history, along with getting married to such a wonderful man in Ritchie. I am so excited for this season, I believe that our team is capable of winning the championship."



I take it that the marriage to Ritchie Stevens is a close second to the win in Chicago:



" Certainly getting married to my best friend Ritchie was amazing. We have been friends for nearly 7 years, and to marry my best friend was absolutely wonderful. We are also working so hard to see Ritchie return to NHRA pro stock drag racing with funds being the most difficult piece of the puzzle. It would be awesome to see a husband & wife Pro Stock Team compete against each other, but I am a very lucky girl to have such a great husband behind me."



Is Ritchie planning to compete in the ADRL league at some point this season:



" He won't be starting this American Drag Racing League season in Rockingham. (This event took place this past sunday) His team with which he won the "Battle of the Belts" is working on a brand new Mustang, as soon as that part of the equation is complete, he does plan to return to ADRL action. That is where his career started, driving big block, mountain motor cars in the IHRA and ADRL. He is one of the most talented drivers in the sport, finishing second in the ADRL Championship. But the goal is to have him back in the NHRA, to contend for the Pro Stock Title."

No comments:

Post a Comment