Monday, September 10, 2012

The Dynamic Duo Of Pro Mod: Interview with Andrew and Dina Parise


When it comes to Drag Racing, rivalries have formed the very fabric of the sport. And it is not just the fans but even the drivers and teams that have also kept drag racing at the forefront of our sporting lives. Plus the fact that it indeed makes racing much more exciting. 

Andrew & Dina Parise(Courtesy of Roger Richards)
Now just imagine, a husband & wife facing each other for bragging rights. You can sense the tone of conversations that take place at the dinner table or race shop. When you look at the Husband & Wife Pro Mod Duo of Andrew & Dina Parise out of the sate of New York, you will get just that. There motto "When the helmets go on, the Wedding Bands come off" is something that they take quite seriously.

I got the opportunity to interview this dynamic duo to get their thoughts and dreams for the sport of Pro Mod Drag Racing. I started by asking Dina what is it about Pro Mod that makes it so exciting for both fans and drivers alike 

"These cars are tough to handle" The excited NY Pro Mod Driver told me "It also keeps the fans coming back. Race fans love Pro Mod of the reasons the drivers do"

Dina added "The fact that our class runs 3 different power plants (Supercharged, Nitrous, and Turbos) creates more diversity for our fans. And then there are the wild paint schemes. It's what many fans have admired about Pro Mod since its inception"


 Andrew offered his thoughts on why Pro Mod is exciting to witness: 

"We're always on the edge. Pro Mod drivers get sideways and will pedal the car for the win" Said the Driver also known as "Bam Bam" " Fans love Pro Mod because drivers take it to the edge all the time"





There is difficulty in obtaining sponsorship and/or publicity for any particular racing team in any series. It is what continues to drive those who have a dream to battle the best of the best in Drag Racing. I asked the NY Pro Mod Husband & Wife team their thoughts on this subject:



"(Pro Mod) is such an amazing class. It has some of the bet drivers and tuners" Exclaimed Andrew "Pro Mod brings personality to racing, the drivers talk to their fans and can be themselves"Dina then told of the benefits of adding Pro Mod full time to NHRA schedule could be: 

Dina then told of the benefits of adding Pro Mod full time to NHRA schedule could be:

"Adding us would really open things up for the class." Stated Dina "I believe it would create a better platform for marketing opportunities for individual teams as well as increase the number of peeps in the stands"

As the thrill of the competition for bragging rights heats up, your opponent in the other lane uses certain tricks to take you off of your game. In that process your chances of giving up a thousandth of a second are great, and both Andrew & Dina use that to great effect when facing one another:


"Are you kidding, I live for it. I tree his butt consistently" Dina exclaimed " We don't have the motto "When the helmets go on, the wedding bands come off" for nothing". 

                                                              Of course, Andrew let his feeling be known on the subject:

"She gets off the starting line before me but who gets the trophy is the winner and so far it's been me" The confident Mr. Parise stated "Seriously it is very exciting for me. From the side by side burnouts to all the trash talk in the pits. But to be racing against each other, I wouldn't have it any other way 



Attend any event in drag racing, and ask the fans what their favorite racing series is and their are absolutely no shortages . The more opportunities that a drag racer has to race, the better, and that is something that Andrew & Dina frequently do when and wherever they can. So I asked them which series they enjoy the most:

"Both series are exciting (NHRA and ADRL) For me personally" Answered Andrew "I love the quarter mile racing"

                                                                Dina then gave her thoughts on her favorite series:

"I find it hard to compare" Dina told me "ADRL does now run a Pro Mod class in their series. Although it is only 1/8 mile rather than a 1/4 mile. Given the chance, we would run both series"

Both Andrew & Dina Parise have traveled across the midwest to some of the finest drag strips in the United States, thus the choice as to their favorite strip as well as a majority of racers is clear:
Courtesy of ZMax Dragway

"My favorite drag strip would have to be ZMax DragWay in North Carolina. This is like Trump Towers goes racing" Stated Andrew "The facility and the grounds are amazing" 

Then Dina added:

We have spent quite a bit of time racing and testing at Virgina Motorsports Park, but I love ZMax because it is a racing wonderland"




Courtesy of Shakedownatetown.com
If you walk across the pits at a drag racing event, there is no shortage of makes and models of every type of pro Mod racing car. From Plymouth/Dodge to Chevys and Pontiac GXP's, sheet metal of every manufacturer. Racers tend to have their favorites as far as race cars go, and both Andrew & Dina weren't shy in telling me their favorite and why:
" Well I have been around old cars my whole life and the '53 brings back a lot of memories as a kid"

Then Dina gave her reasons for choosing the '63 chevy as her race vehicle;

"For me I always wanted a '63 split window coupe since I was twelve years old" An excited Dina told me "Although I never imagined it having 2,700 HP & the amazing paint scheme it has".


With a schedule of 10 races, Pro Mod teams and drivers need time to unwind from the stress of running the Pro Mod circuit. From riding MotoCross, driving vintage funny cars, to yes even dabbling in the culinary arts; there are many options at the drivers disposal. Dina described what she does to relax:

" I enjoy working out and as a former professional skater for the Ice Capades, I do like to hit the ice now and then" The Ice princess stated "I enjoy cooking new dishes to prepare to take to the track to feed my boys, LOL".

Then Andrew describes what he does to relieve stress:

"Somebody told me that if racing were easy, everyone would be doing it. I have a heavyweight bag that gets quite a bit of use". Said the driver known as "Bam Bam" "This is a very stressful sport, and you need recharge yourself from time to time"


Before becoming a Pro Mod driver, Dina as she stated earlier was a professional skater in the Ice Capades. Part of that training served her well in preparing her for driving in the highly competitive Pro Mod class:

"Believe it or not, the worlds aren't that far apart. When I skated in the show, I did a few numbers where I flew over the audience, hung on by a rope by the wrist & spun around" The Adrenaline Junkie Stated "I've traded my skates for tires, but we travel from week to week. The fans greet us at our pit." Dina added "I'm still a showgirl at heart. I think that part will never leave me"







Throughout the interview, both Andrew & Dina have shared a love for the sport of Pro Mod drag racing, as well as love for their loyal fans. They have shared so much during the course of the interview and one subject they shared with me was their sense of humor. Dina shared with me their wedding that occurred one April Fools Day 

" Everything from the invitation on was a detailed goof. Even our guests had to come dressed in 50's clothing" Said the very jovial Dina "My brother was Andrew's best man. He gave us candy rings to exchange in the ceremony. To this day day, Andrew still debates that we are actually married! HA! SUCKER!" Dina added "I have no fear of being the goofy one, and usually that will make Andrew hide under a rock. I live for that kind of stuff! I will do something funny then hit em' with "Well, you married it" LOL

Andrew then jokingly describes Dinas' sense of humor:

"Well how can I say this correctly, my wife is just nuts; plain and simple. She was an ice skater and she hit her head a couple of times. That's the excuse we use a lot." Stated the Jovial Andrew

In drag racing, the fans are of the utmost importance, and vise versa with the drivers and teams. Fans are there to help encourage the drivers & teams thru the tough losses. Racers will also tell you that none of what they do is possible without the fans' support as Andrew & Dina told me:

"You take away the fans, what do you have left? When we go to a race track, you want to be the best you can be for your fans" The grateful Andrew stated "Yes we do have a sickness but we do this because of the people who support us." He added "Look, I am the first to grab a child out of the pit area and put them in my car (for a picture). I love seeing the faces of the parents because it gives you a feeling that nothing else can"

Dina then ended the interview by saying:

"We as (Drivers & Teams) keep the Pro Mod class exciting and our fans keep it going! So the more support the better. Anything the fans can do to continue to support Pro Mod, please do! And a big thank you to our Parise Racing fans who have been so supportive"


A gigantic thank you to Andrew & Dina Parise for the distinct privilege of interviewing them both. They are two of not only the finest racers in the land, but the finest human beings in the world. I greatly appreciate Andrew and Dina sharing their thoughts and dreams with me in this interview which would not have been possible without their support. God Bless them both and may they return to racing very soon

PARISE RACING ROCKS!

(All Photos Courtesy of Parise Racing Unless Otherwise Noted)



No comments:

Post a Comment